In my last post I spoke about the need for a writer to have a plan. This could be as elaborate as a detailed business plan or as simple as a list of steps you need to take to become published (and then don't forget the steps to market what you publish).
Today I thought I'd share with you my list - this is not complete, there are previous steps I've already completed (write an author bio, get a blog or website, get a good author pic... oh yeah, write a novel...). Maybe you'll find some helpful ideas on there, or maybe you can suggest some things I've forgotten! As I tick off each step I'll share my experience and you can learn by my (hopefully rare) mistakes. I'll be sharing my experiences organising book covers next.
From Manuscript to Book:
- Check out professional editing organisations
- Circulate amongst Beta readers
- Search contacts for artists, graphic artists and professionals at book cover design.
- Check Shutterstock or other photo sites for good stock photos.
- Check online resources.
Format e-book and Print On Demand book
- Check with State writers groups for contacts for digital publishers.
- Look at CreateSpace
- All others: Smashwords, Dymocks, Fishpond etc.
- Book Trailer - speak to Luke or Rhonda
- Slogans ('cause I have too much time on my hands):
- Zombie Dog hates your guts... loves your brains.
- Tell Zombie Dog to heel, and it’ll bring you a nice fresh one.
- Zombie Dog’s best trick: ‘play dead’ (Zombie Dog is not playing).
- Zombie Dog thinks you look nom nom.
- Zombie Dog, nom nom nomming her way into your heart (cross out, replace with brain).
- Brrrraaaains means I love you.
- (picture of two mafia guys tossing a body rolled in a rug to the doghouse) Sometimes Zombie Dog comes in handy.
Read Amazon guidelines
Decide on release date - promote book leading up to release
- Check out books on promoting your novel.
- Read the John Locke guide
- Check out guides to ebook publishing
- Giveaway - Kindle?
- Organise blog hop
- Look up other promotional ideas
- T-shirts (overkill???)
- Talk to contacts in programming about creating a game app to pair with the ebook.