Feb 15, 2012

Platform Building for Writers

Part of my business plan includes promotion, for writers today one of the most effective ways to promote is to build a platform. Quite simply, this is just the space where you market yourself. If your platform is effective it can help guide readers to your books and generate sales.

If you've read any writers' blogs you'll already know that there is a huge supportive community out there. Other writers will not only cheer you on, give you great tips and ideas, but sometimes they'll even buy a copy of your book (I know I LOVE buying a book that I find on a blogger-friend's site). 

Let writers help you with building your author platform - a good start? Check out Rach Writes. Rachel runs the Writers' Platform Building Campaign and you can sign up! It's a great way to meet new followers for your blog. I've joined up - will you?

Want more on building your platform? Try my previous posts:

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Charmaine. I'll check out that site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her blog and congrats on signing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched the crusade through several cycles. It's a cool idea, but I don't think it's does anything for anyone's platform, other than Rachel's. Once it's over, everyone goes back to doing what they did before. That's not a platform from my understanding of the definition. ;)

    I'm looking forward to see what she comes up with this time. The assignments are always very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow Campaigner here. Yes, building a platform is important, but I don't think collecting other authors helps that much. It's a great way to get to know very interesting people, the ones that share a bizarre addiction of putting words on an empty page, but I don't think having many author friends will help selling my book(s). But I don't care. I love the campaigner challenges. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Charmaine! Thanks for stopping by my blog. So nice to meet you. I've never been to Australia, but I really want to go. The closest I've been in New Zealand. My parents go there every year for a few months while my dad teaches at the University of Dunedin.

    Good luck with your writing. Looks like you've got quite a few novels going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fellow campaigner here. Stopping by to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again! I'm in your campaign group and guess what? YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED! Follow the link to get your questions:

    http://juliedaines.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you! Fellow Campaigner and new follower here! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow campaigner here poppin' in to say, "HI!" (Yes, I just yelled that. Sorry, I was excited)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tag, you're it! You've been tagged in a game of 11 Questions being passed around by the Platform-Building campaigners. You can pick up your questions at this link: http://sophieswritingadventures.blogspot.com/2012/02/eleven-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is a great idea-- join writers with a similar genre and provide support.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from the campaign! I hope you decide to buy my book someday, even if it's for your children. Right now I'll be happy to finish converting it to first person. If you visit my blog (http://sherahart.blogspot.com), please weigh in on the post before last. I'd rather not divulge the info in the second paragraph, but if I don't, adults expect something Science Fictiony from the events in the first three chapters and get upset when they land in something more like James and the Giant Peach.

    ReplyDelete