Sep 30, 2009

The Practice Novel

My title is expanding.

The Book Publisher's Wife

I've been contemplating various plots to turn this title into a mystery story (or any story) and at first I thought her husband could be killed off quite early, after all, it's not called 'The Book Publisher'. I just haven't got a motive or twist yet. Then it hit me. The title, the one that keeps haunting me, that's the twist. He's not dead.

After all, then it would be called 'The Book Publisher's Widow' and it isn't.

This might be a good 'practice' mystery novel for me because I have another mystery novel that I want to write (but I want to write well, so won't be racing through it for NaNoWriMo). I've never written a mystery - but like all things I try in life, I ask 'how hard can it be?' (then I find out).

I haven't decided to commit to this story for the NaNoWriMo challenge (look here to find out, sign up and buddy me). I may still go with the retelling of a classic or myth. I'm sure I will make the final decision when I arise on the 1st of November to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment