Most of us are great at self-critiscm. I'm not talented, smart, productive, funny, thin enough. Good old January 1 has perfected the art of cashing in on our insecurities as we all plan how we can be BETTER in the new year. As artists--whether we write, draw, paint, build macaroni figurines--we strive for constant improvement. That elusive location of 'there', I'm almost there, I'll get there, one day... What about now? What about here? How about appreciating and celebrating all that you've already achieved?
Before I make my resolutions (and yes, I'm weak enough to give into the list of improvement) I like to reflect and review my past year. Here's my celebration list of 2012:
- Survived an apocalypse--so that's kinda cool.
- Moved from our country cottage in Yass to an inner-city suburb of Brisbane. Swapped views of cows and hills for trains and skylines. I've learned I can happily adapt to any environment and now love city-living as much as I loved country-living.
- Joined the Queensland Writers Centre (bonus to the move).
- Formed a writers group and we meet every week. Best thing I ever did for my writing!
- Studied via writing courses and workshops. I couldn't even count how many writing classes/workshops I did this year!
- Finished four first draft manuscripts.
- Wrote flash fiction and short stories.
- Increased my pool of online buddies.
- Taught creative writing workshops for kids by volunteering at local schools.
- Was invited to read My Zombie Dog with Year Six kids when they chose it as their class text (that was so awesome!).
Write your list and pat yourself on the back. Post your achievement list, after a few days offline, I'm itching to get around to your blogs. 2013 is looking pretty exciting!