|YouTube - not just for dancing cats|
Do you YouTube?
One of the social networking suggestions Aleesah Darlison made during her 'Promote Your Book' workshop recently was to set up a YouTube page.
Sure, I had a YouTube account, who doesn't, but a page? This had never occurred to me. If I have one talent above all others, it's following instructions. I set about creating a YouTube page under my username charmaineclancy. I know I need to add some more exciting clips, because the most recent recommendation from YouTube for me was a clip called 'Schnauzer napping'... can't wait to see that one.
On Aleesah's page she keeps book trailers, interviews, interesting clips about native animals that feature in her books and more. This is a great resource to use for writers workshops, school visits, book launches and building up your platform. If you don't have a YouTube account it's easy. Go to the site and create an account - I recommend using your author name and if that's taken, add the word author in front. For example, if charmaineclancy wasn't available I'd use authorcharmaineclancy.
Once you've joined and signed in, you'll see some arrows by your name in the top right hand corner. That releases a drop box menu. Click on Channel and set up your channel (this is the page for you to share your clips). In Settings you can change the colour, add your author pic and bio. Videos is where you upload your own clips. I'm yet to do that, hey, maybe one day soon I'll even vlog. In the meantime if you'd like to see a vlog about the craft of writing, visit The Creative Penn's YouTube page.
Want to share YouTube clips on Blogger?
- Find a clip you want to share, underneath is a button titled 'Share' - click it.
- This brings up a link for sharing, but now click on 'Embed'. Here is the code you need to embed the clip into your blog. Copy the code.
- You can change the size if you need to (if you have a narrow blog column), I always just go with the smaller size listed (560x315).
- Now Blogger does not like code when you are in 'Compose', so I usually choose to go to HTML and insert the code. But there is another way.
Alternative - Probably easier:
- In Blogger, when composing your blog, click on the button for 'insert a video'.
- Choose 'From YouTube'.
- In the search box you need to type in the title of the clip - the one I've chosen was called "Interview with Aleesah Darlison".
- Choose the correct clip from the list of possibilities. Ta-da!
If you have a YouTube Channel set up already, share your link in the comments :)