Apr 18, 2012

P is for Plot


I came across this brilliant resource (which admittedly I found it linked on someone else's blog but can't remember which one to credit) for writing novels. There are many different methods writers use, and mine has usually been, get an idea and just start writing, once I can see some direction, I then plot the whole thing out.

Some writers claim novels don't need plot, but realistically that makes the story hard to follow and most readers won't want to continue the meandering journey. I love plot. This video from The Plot Whisperer will help anyone just starting out that can't find the direction they need to write a novel, and experienced writers who'd like some motivation and increase productivity in their writing time.

So enjoy, and remember, these tools are only useful if you USE them. As soon as you're done watching, make some notes on that next novel!


13 comments:

  1. I am not a writer of novels but even I know one needs a plot for the story to revolve around.

    My poetry is usually based on true life experiences and family so no plot is needed.

    A good P word and post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plot is one of those things that make my head spin! Just when I think I've got it right... along comes something else that makes me rethink it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched Martha's whole series on youtube. It's quite long but well worth the time.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really needed this. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this resource. I do remember the "What does the character want and by the end of the story, does he/she get it.?" What I like about this is that you can analyze a movie, a book by using this approach. This was from a creative writing class that I took.

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting. She offered lots of good examples too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply could not go away your [url=http://www.uggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]genuine ugg boots[/url] site prior to suggesting that I actually loved the standard information an individual provide for your guests? [url=http://www.uggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]ugg boots[/url] ,Is gonna be back steadily to check up on new posts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basically the workings of online poker games, for anybody who takes the time to think about it deeply about the games are a marvel in the real sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete