May 24, 2011

3 Essential Network Markets for Writers

Do you network? I've always found that a funny word - almost predatory, even though my background was in marketing and networking was an intrinsic part of that. I love that Google calls it following (as does Twitter) and Facebook is even better calling it friending.

Regardless of what you call it, we've talked before about the need to build an online platform (to make connections and promote yourself as a writer). I find there are three separate areas for a writer to network in, this is my take:
  1. Readers/Potential Customers - This is obvious. Identify your market. Are your books for tweens or teens? Mystery lovers or die-hard Sci-fiers? Find where they hang out and join their groups (this is a step I need to start taking). E.g. All of my books have dogs in them, some in a small way and some, well, like DOG SHOW DETECTIVE and MY ZOMBIE DOG. So, I could start following people on twitter in dog groups, animal rights and dog showing.
  2. Publishers/Agents - When you query your dream agent or publisher, you want to know if they Google you, they'll get lots of hits about what a great writer you are - not old family Christmas photos where you're drunk and kissing Santa, who turns out to be your Uncle Gary (not a true story - I promise!).
  3. Writers - This is the area I started with when I looked at reaching out and connecting with others on the Internet. It may not be the market that purchases my books, but this has been the networks that have informed, guided and motivated me so that my books will be out there for my reader market. The advice you gather from other writers is invaluable. I've taken writing courses through TAFE and completed a BA in Creative and Professional Writing, but my writing has progressed the most since I started blogging and reading writer blogs.

And because I've been attending a few workshops lately, and I want to keep building my circle of writers, I ordered these contact cards. It's a lot simpler than trying to scrawl out your blog address every time you meet someone. And on a budget? I got mine through Vista Print, delivered to my door for about $30. My only tip if you do this, is the card is slightly smaller than a business card and the set text size is a bit small to read, so I enlarged mine by a couple of points. Glad I did.


Have you started networking amongst your reader market yet? Where does your market hang out?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these really great tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started blogging a couple of months ago and I've only just joined twitter so I'm a bit slow off the mark. I do think it's going to be an important part of publishing. It's all very time consuming though. I tried that kanban thingy but it didn't really help. Still using it?


    mood
    @mooderino <--twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siv - you're welcome

    Moody - like all my time management routines, it only works if I keep doing it - my sticky notes haven't been moved in a week. I did get the app for the iPad and might try that for a while - otherwise I'll just go back to lists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing this little by little since I work at another job. I'm about exhausted trying to keep up with eidts, beta-reads, my critique group, Facebook, Twitter, blogging, and etc...It's work that takes committment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking around for groups to join, related to what I write. But it is time consuming, as Mood says. Essential, but it seems like I'm not doing much writing any more. I'm still getting round to Twitter, too. Need another blog post up on my main blog, as well, but at least I finally got the next On Writing blog article up yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the second tip! In this day and age of instant info on anyone people have got to be vigilant on what they put out there! Great post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh-oh! When they Google me they will get the Santa pics. I knew I shoulda told him "hands off." Boo. Now everyone will know my secret!

    Seriously great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charmaine, #3 most resounding for me. Thought all the deferred energy would snuff out my creative sparks but apart from the colossal amount of time spentwriting blogs and reading, the reverse is true.Thanks for bringing it back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your card. Very snazzy. I need to make me some business cards too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice on networking. I like how you say that blogging has improved your writing, and I LOVE your biz cards. I also took a class that encouraged getting a card and used my photo on it. I think it looks nice, and it's good to put a face to the teacher, writer, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I too have been working on this. I'm overwhelmed myself and spent the day researching different websites.

    Hoping to have some good groups and websites on my blog soon with information on what each offers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the great comments! Coming around to visit your blogs now, these are the ones I was referring to that motivate and teach me :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just like any business, it's all about who you know! Great advice on how to get your foot in the door and connected to these people of various areas. After all, you don't want to miss opportunities!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete