Apr 8, 2011

G is for Graphic Design


I've noticed a lot of writers have complimenting hobbies like photography, sword fighting, or, graphic design. I've been dabbling in some design programs, but am far from having the expertise necessary for my writing needs. So what graphic design do we need as writers?

Business Cards
The best idea I've come across for writers' business cards is to produce bookmarks. I go this tip from:
But I've been wondering, what if your book is only available as an ebook? What could writers produce as a business card? I've got nothing... any ideas?

Website
Most people are able to redesign their blogs themselves, it's so easy with all the templates available, but what about having an author website? I said I was designing mine with Dreamweaver, and gave you some things to consider when planning your website in 7 Key Elements for a Writer's Website. I got started on my website, planned it out on paper first, and worked out exactly what I needed to appear. But the graphic design became too tricky for a novice like myself, so I've now got an expert working on the job. My Graphic Designer, Rhonda - you can visit her photography blog here (it's good to have friends with skills!). 

Book Covers
Your needs here will be different if you require a paper book or just an e-book. If you are publishing a whole book, you'll need spine and back cover designs, possible jacket flaps, etc. Even if you're self-publishing your book, you need a professional looking book cover. I've seen so many books on Amazon that have pretty dodgy covers. I know I never buy them. Book covers sell books, despite all the warnings, that's our first judgement. If you need some inspiration for your book cover design, check out these sites:

Here's a couple of my favourite covers:
 
 

There's many more of course.

Book Trailers
Book trailers are very popular now, and many look so professional they could be movie trailers. There's even sites for watching book trailers:

So, are you arty enough to design for your marketing needs, will you let a publisher handle that or will you employ a graphic designer?

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. How about hair lopping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I use bookmarks/post cards for my business card... Thanks for the post...

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I have a friend with graphic design skills, and feel very fortunate indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My business card looks like a piece of school ruled notebook paper. My information is written on both sides and I have hole punched the corner. I always get a lot of comments on it.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My other occupation, graphic arts. But I do my art by hand, like you I have yet to master the software. But I would love to learn sword fighting :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I desinged my blog, but other than that I hire professionals. My nephew (very talented) desinged my dust cover. He did a great job. I did design my own business cards using templates and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I don't know about ebooks maybe jump drive. or card that takes the person to your site. They are small and plug into usb drive. I got one for CC not sure the price on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love playing with photoshop, but that's the limit to my knowledge of graphic design.

    I appreciate all the information you've shared, especially the business card - bookmark. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about a business card on a thumb drive?

    Love Hex Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all gorgeous book covers, and the one for Demonglass is just as stunning as the one for Hex Hal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I have a thing for book covers. One day I want to learn the art behind designing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how much I love graphic design. Yet, I am terrible at it. Nice post and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Very informative. You gave me a lot to think about. I can do the basics of blogging but that is about it. I am not very creative with technology. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did my own business card at Staples a few years ago. I think it's good for writers to have them even if they have an ebook out since it's good to be able to pass them on to others when they meet at conferences, etc. Although, these days, I'd probably get them through my webmistress to match my website.

    For websites, I used to do that myself too, but I hired a professional designer to redesign it. It looks SO much better than what I had.

    For book covers, if I self-published, I'd have my webmistress do mine since she's does book covers as well.

    I've done my own book trailers before. They're really fun to make.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a graphic design background but I'll probably let the publisher handle it all. I don't have time to even fix up my own blog! hahahaha.

    And yes, I love, love, love the Reckless cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get the photography and graphic design, but, sword fighting??? Found you from the A-Z Challenge, so far it’s been a lot of fun, with maybe with a little bit of stress thrown in!! I’m now following you on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm arty but not enough to be able to do any of those things for my writing when they grow up to become books. Adobe photoshop goes right over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm lucky in that I'm married to a computer geek who will at least be able to do my website for me. As for graphics, though, I'm at a loss. I dabble in photography and can minimally edit photographs, but that's about it. I hope to reach out to artistic friends when the time comes.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the helpful links. I need those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say this stuff dries and holds the curls in place for great curl

    definition. I dont like that my curls were rather dry though. I'd say you must must must use the oil or some sort of moisturizer w/this product if you have thick (curly hair: type 3C) hair like mine.

    ReplyDelete