Apr 20, 2010

Q is for Query


I don't query agents or publishers. I'm just not UP to that yet. I'm still working on polishing my novel, Dog Show Detective, and I'm plotting and developing characters for The Warracknabeal Kids. I know it's just around the corner, and yes, I'm a little scared.

I creative write. When I have to do non-creative tasks I shuffle my feet and moan like a zombie (okay still fresh from reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Dead-Tossed Waves). I don't want to query, I just want to create fiction and have people come and find me and ask to read it (realistic?), but I realise as my edits progress on Dog Show Detective, that the time is coming, so I'd better do a little research.

Here are some links I've found about creating an effective query:

I've also purchase this e-book (haven't read through it yet though):

I've also been working on my synopsis, How To Revise Your Novel (the editing course I'm taking) has made this process simple. This is a thorough course and I don't think I'd have been able to revise without it:
Maybe writing a query won't be scary after all - maybe I'll even enjoy it :-)
Tomorrow I'll post the winner to the Book Giveaway competition!

16 comments:

  1. Honest and refreshing; Thanks for the great links! You can do it; just another stepping stone!
    I am not even in the ball game, so
    be proud, of how far you have come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making such progress and thanks for the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys - Ellie, I'm not sure that I'm actually IN the ballgame, possibly just streaking across the field ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Query writing is definitely scary, but it's so crucial to get right. So edit, edit and edit some more ;)
    You are certainly going about it the right way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good "Q" blog, loved the read.not an easy letter,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pics are great! Scared kitty and "when pigs fly!" Thanks for the links. I'm not querying either. Just keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, regardless of whether you feel up to querying yet. It is so good to start thinking about it early though. And these links are great - thank you! Do you link to Query Shark?

    http://queryshark.blogspot.com/

    Really interesting and helpful advice there as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I want to reach the end of my manuscript, I'm not looking forward to writing the query either. I'm sure those links will come in handy when its time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when Pigs fly picture..great post and great links!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck to you in sending out your query letters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! The scared kitty pic sums up my feelings about querying, too. But we must do it, right? Right.

    :shudders:

    :scampers off to work on book proposal:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how I love your personality! I have my query letter pretty close to ready, but when it comes to a one-line pitch, I'm doomed. Those are great sources you linked to - thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, query schmery--sounds like you're in a great zone writing--who wants to leave that? I prefer to be in that state of flow myself! Great post!

    ReplyDelete