Feb 6, 2013

6 Ways to hook up with other writers -- even if you're insecure

Writing can be a solitary task, but it doesn't need to be. There's lots of support for writers if they know where to find it. Get to know other writers, form alliances, give each other feedback, encouragement and advice. The writing community is one of the most generous with sharing of information. So where can you hook up with other writers?
  1. Join a Writers Group -- Best thing I've ever done. We meet once a week and take part in writing exercises, share our work and discuss the industry. This is an intimate, safe environment to share your writing with people you trust for an honest critique.
  2. Blog -- I never realised there were so many writing communities until I started blogging. Start your blog on whatever you like. I enjoy blogging about the craft of writing, but also love reading marketing, education and reading blogs. It's a way to interact. Turn off 'captcha' or 'word verification' in your settings. These are horrible torturous tests visitors must endure just so they can leave you an encouraging comment. It's not polite. If you are worried about spam (yes, I'm rolling my eyes), then use comment moderation instead.
  3. Sign up to Blog Groups and Challenges -- Such as Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. You put your link on a list and everyone posts on an agreed topic or event. You'll meet lots of blog friends very quickly.
  4. Pick your Favourite Social Media Platform -- You don't have to do them all, so don't be overwhelmed. Best to pick the one that suites your style and use it effectively, than to flounder on half a dozen different sites. The top ones seem to be Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn, but there's also Instagram if you're more of a photo person, and Pinterest if you like sharing websites and online photos. Browse through and read posts to see which platform suites your lifestyle. 
  5. Visit your Writer's Centre -- There may be one not too far from you. Writer's centres have plenty of advice and contacts to get you on your way and most charge a reasonable yearly membership fee.
  6. Attend Writing Festivals/Seminars -- You'll be educated, entertained and get to network with other professionals in the writing industry.
Most of all, it's important to get out there with a positive attitude. Be thoughtful and reciprocate. If you want followers for your blog, then go follow other blogs. Don't hide in a corner and expect all the introverts to come to you.
By offering a place where followers can comment without obstacles,
you'll increase the number of people who stay long enough to say hello.

26 comments:

  1. I long to go to a writing festival, but kids, transport, money, distance all conspire against me. One day I will. I've been blogging for almost 3 years, and it's been one of the best things I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, I got a 100%! 6 out of 6. Thanks for the encouragement :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd LOVE to go to a writing festival or writer's convention. Someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear! Wonderful, Charmaine (and things that I'm happy to say that I do).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right. Great post!

    Sharing!

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice! The captchas drive me batty - I never do them correctly on the first try.

    I haven't found any writing groups in my area - would be very cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've tried everything except the writing centre. Those I know are a bit too far away or a bit too expensive so I stick with internet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lists! Thanks. With my recent move I found a "live" writing group for the first time. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! I'm going to be attending my first writing conference in the spring and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a couple writing friends in the area, and it's a relief when I get to go hang out with them. I just wish there was more going on closer to us in West Texas...
    Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agentqueryconnect.com! :D Great place to connect with other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice and I'm already doing most of those...I just need to find a local writing group and really step out of my comfort zone :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree with your hook-up spots...
    The bloghops work very well. They're very popular and provide the most fun of all those mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
  14. ALL excellent ways to hook up with other writers. The one that really hits home for me is blogging. I've met some pretty nifty people in this little blogging community :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super advice. I've done (doing) all except visiting a writing centre, like at a university? Thanks so much sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome suggestions, especially the Captcha one!

    It takes a balanced approach!

    Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree. Those have been great ways to hook up with other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All great advice, Charmaine - joining my local writing group many years ago was the best thing I ever did. And blogging etc has added greatly to the whole writing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I started blogging about a year ago and am amazed by all the awesome, and supportive, writers I've met. I was scared to start, but it was a great decision!
    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great advice! I'm feeling more secure already. I love info-blogs delivered well.
    Nicely done!
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice article, totally what I was looking for.
    my site > get rid of acne fast

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very encouraging post. Needed to hear this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wish I hooked up with writers, in person and online, much sooner. I was alone with my writing for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooking up with other writers is a fun thing to do. I especially like meeting new authors at festivals/conventions.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great advice, Charmaine! Thank you for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete