Jan 27, 2011

A Word A Day?

I got to play model for Rhonda's photography!

I know a lot of writers have other fetishes they participate in, for some it's drawing (for me, it's trying to draw), others might have a love of old cars, bake, and some of you are photographers, or at least budding photographers. One challenge circling around for photographers is the A Photo A Day Challenge.

A good friend of mine has taken up this challenge and just started up her new blog:

Rhonda is very talented and skilled with digital media and is also passionate about photography. She's sharpening her skills by producing a photo every day. This got me thinking about all arts, and indeed interests. Surely by toiling at our craft EVERY day, we will build our skills. I've taken challenges before to produce 500 words per day and during NaNoWriMo there were no days off. This year I'm feeling a little squeezed with all the preparation I need to do to teach two new subjects at high school, but I should keep my ink nib dipped in some way daily. I'd love to say I'll edit for 30minutes everyday, but I hear it as a lie even as I think the words. So...

I've decided that as long as I do something literary everyday, I'll be happy. That's all, a minimum of one activity. I can read a book about the craft of writing (did that today), listen to a writer's podcast, edit my manuscript, write up a pitch-line (like I will tomorrow for the challenge at Erica and Christy), or make notes in my notebook (which I did today!). If I have a really bad brain-dead day? I'll just write one word in my notebook (but it better be a good one).

Are you taking up any new challenges?

10 comments:

  1. working on the WIP seems more than challenge enough. I just can't fit it all in as it is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curretly, my challenge is keeping my new kitties from emptying every surface in my condo onto the floor... Thanks for the inspiration. I will give some thought to loftier goals. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken up the challenge of a new project - much bigger than my usual stories. This one will be a full-fledged MG! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing something similar. Taking one word and one sketch a day. I have to multi task you know :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to make a book trailer video, again. Nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of doing SOMETHING literary even if it isn't writing. Love your super curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading and commenting on blogs every day would be a super challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something literary every day is a great idea as well as a good goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pic.

    My mind is set on finishing my two wips.

    Years ago I made a goal of doing one painting or one sketch a week, but I was out of practice and had no time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still trying to finish my NaNo project. Coming up in April will be the 2nd Annual Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

    ReplyDelete