- Tertiary studies in literature
- Books on how to write a great novel
- Reading blogs about writing
- Writing blogposts about writing
- Cute notebooks
- Fancy writing software
- Research into some obscure reference in my story
- Podcasts on writing
- Novelty pens
- Writers retreats/festivals/conferences
- Twitter writer friends
- Critique groups
- Writer's cookies
Sure, I could write a great novel without any of those things, the question is... would I? Do you use all these things to motivate your writing, just a few, or do you hmpf! at it all and just write? (I suspect you at least read blogs). So, for no other reason than distraction - I give you...
Dramatic Chipmunk vs OMG Cat!